- 1 Best Water Filter for Contaminants
- 2 Types of water filters system
- 2.1 Dragon Alkaline Water pitcher – 3.5 Liters
- 2.2 APEC Top Tier 5-Stage ultra-safe Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System
- 2.3 CuZn UC-200 Under Counter Water Filter, 50K Ultra High Capacity
- 2.4 Brita On-Tap Faucet Filtration System
- 2.5 PUR PFM400H Chrome Horizontal Faucet Mount with 1 MineralClear Filter
- 3 How to install an under sink water filter?
- 4 Conclusion: Choosing the best water filter to use:
Water contaminants are one of the leading causes of illnesses and diseases worldwide. Imagine having to use water and worrying about it being contaminated or not, and having to constantly go through lugubrious processes to test if the water is suitable for drinking, cooking, recreational, and aesthetic activities like swimming and aquariums, respectively, No! The dynamic technologies of our world today have made it easier to leapfrog these problems.
Best Water Filter for Contaminants
There is a particular gadget that serves that purpose now, which by its design and features can be portable and sometimes doubles as a water tester too, and this miracle gadget is called a Water filter.
Water filters, unlike sieve or screens, are capable of removing even smaller particles much smaller than holes through which its water passes.
Water filters are essential tools needed to escape the problem of contaminants in water; Filters are used most commonly to clean water that can serve for different purposes such as; drinking, swimming pools, and aquariums by removing dirt, it reduces contamination of water using a physical barrier and sometimes combined with a chemical or biological process.
But just like every other household machine out there, there are different types of water filters, which by characteristics of purpose, processes, and distinguished features involved, there exist individual preferences as to what kind of water filter one might find most suitable. But, to make this choice, you need to know various types of water filters, and the purpose and unique features each has.
Types of water filters system
Activated Carbon Filters: Removing larger particles like sediment and slit from your water, thereby effectively treating and making it suitable for consumption, is one major characteristic of activated carbon filters.
These types of filters, also known as carbon filters or pre-filters, helps to achieve this by absorbing and attracting particles, so they are no longer present in the liquid that comes out of your faucet.
An activated carbon filter will also make sure to get rid of unpleasant odor and improve tastes to make it suitable for drinking. This is because they reduce the number of other contaminants and chlorine.
Reverse Osmosis: The ability to remove all sorts of contaminants makes this type of filter incredibly popular. Removing contaminants is attained by the process of using a partially permeable membrane to remove larger particles, unwanted molecules, and ions from drinking water using applied pressure to over osmotic pressure.
Alkaline/Water Ionizers: This process is majorly used to obtain water that is low in acidity by electrolysis. The water is passed over electrodes, which are electrically charged and separated into two streams ( alkaline and the other is acidic). The result is a softer and less acidic water, which has been proven to be very good for the skin.
UV Filters: These being one of the best environmentally friendly way of removing contaminants from water is one of the newest technologies in the market, because it doesn’t involve any chemical or heat to be effective. Treating water with ultraviolet radiation destroys various bacteria that are detrimental to health.
Infra-red Filters: Similar to alkaline filters, the major importance of this type of filter relies on its ability to soften water by using light and heat to negatively charge the water, making it soft and suitable for use. This is relevant in most areas where hard water is predominant.
But then, you are in the market or want to shop online, and you are wondering about the best water filter you could buy considering efficiency, cost-effectiveness, durability, and easy usage; Below are the top five best water filter you can purchase judging from personal usage and numerous user experiences.
NB: The cost of these items varies, but the ones we are about to use are based on price tags.
Now you might be wondering,
What is the best filter for drinking water I can purchase?
How do I know if this is suitable for the particular purpose I intend using it for?
Here are the top five most efficient and reviewed water filters that will assist you in solving the problem of choice :
Aside from being very simple, easy to use, and pocket-friendly, this water filter can be gotten without having to worry about shipping costs.
Do you want to know what else is cool about this amazing gadget? The awesome features which include:
- Unique design: Easily fits in any refrigerator, easy-to-fill lid, easy pour spout
- Extra free replacement filter included
- Multiple-stage cartridge consisting of ion exchange resin, tourmaline, mineral balls, and carbon
- Durability (Lasts for sixty days)
- Five stage filtration system
But how do this works?
The multiple cartridge system and the activated carbon+ion exchange resin is consisting of a micro-screen that reduces black particles and other contaminants such as chlorine, odors, zinc, copper, lead, and other pollutants to improve tastes and purity of the water.
Arguably one of the best drinking water filter system in the market today, APEC Top-Tier 5-stage Water Filter System consist of the following features:
- Leak-free quick connecting fitting for under-sink installation
- Activated carbon to remove most contaminants
- Long-lasting and durable filters
How does it work?
Water passes through five stages of cleansing using both activated carbon and reverse osmosis to remove up to 99% of contaminants, including heavy metals, arsenic, lead, viruses, chlorine, bacteria, etc.
As the name implies, this water filter system is capable of purifying larger quantities of water at a time, making an indispensable house old water filter system.
It connects directly to your kitchen sink’s cold water pipe in just a very short time (few minutes). This water filter is designed majorly to purify municipal water. Highly recommended to family that consumes a lot of water per day. Features include:
- The filter can be used for up to five years
- 3-stage filtration processes to remove contaminants
- Under the counter leak-free connecting fitting
How does it work?
It uses a 3-stage filtration (electrolysis, activated carbon, and reverse osmosis) to remove all sorts of contaminants, including lead, chlorine, cadmium, pesticides, molds, sediments, mercury, herbicides, bad tastes, and odor, etc.
This stands out as one of the easiest to install water filter systems. It is attached directly to the tap and to the kitchen faucet allowing you to filter contaminants each time the tap is turned on. Some of its distinguishing features include.
- Carbon to remove contaminants
- A built-in filter indicator
How does it work?
The unit is screwed onto the kitchen faucet, and the filter makes use of carbon to remove numerous contaminants like chlorine, asbestos, lead, and many other impurities, etc.
This, like the Brita-On-Tap Faucet Filtration System, is one of the easiest to install water filters as it only requires hooking the unit to your faucet. Its features include:
- It uses activated carbon
- Easily hooked leak-free fitting
How to install an under sink water filter?
Installation is one of the major factors to be considered when purchasing a water filter. To save money, one can decide to do the installation without the help of a plumber. Below is a simple guide to installation:
Materials needed include a drill, an adjustable wrench (An open wrench would work better), plumbers tape, a philips screwdriver to install the filter mount to the interior of your cabinet. The steps include:
- Locate the incoming water supply
- Distinguish the cold water hose and the hot water hose
- The unit should include a TEE, install the TEE then screw on the incoming cold water supply pipe
- Use a pipe tape or sealant to prevent leakages from the TEE junction
- If the TEE doesn’t fit, purchase an adaptor to make it fit
- After the TEE installation, attach the bracket to the side of the interior of the cabinet underneath the sink
- Make sure approximately 8-10 inches of clearance or allowance reserved from the bottom of the cabinet to save space
- Locate the best location to place the faucet considering the size of the base of the faucet.
- Locate the best location carefully under the sink to install the washer and nut
- Drill a hole to fit for the threaded part of the faucet base into
- Put the washer the faucet sits on over the hose and threaded part of the faucet and run the blue faucet line through the hole
- Attach the faucet using the provided nut and washer
- Install the plastic fittings on the filter top and the side of the TEE having the finger shutoff
- Insert the smaller male fitting into the filter housing
- Insert the larger male fitting to the side of the top of the filter housing
- To the side of the TEE install the female fitting
- Install the blue faucet line into the small center fitting on the top of the filter housing
- Insert the larger white line from the TEE to the other fitting on the top of the filter housing
- Pull-on the plastic line to be sure the connection keys in well
- Re-install the hose for your faucet to the top of the TEE
- Be sure to have an adapter in case hose doesn’t fit well into the TEE
- Carefully install the filter to the top of the housing
- Connect the top and bottom of the filter housing and tighten the clamp
- Turn the water back on and check for leaks
- Turn on the filter’s faucet and let it run as you turn over and shake the filter after which you turn it upright, repeat this 3-4 times
- Let the water run for a few minutes
- Check for leaks again
Conclusion: Choosing the best water filter to use:
In choosing the best water filter to use, there are certain things to be taken into consideration. One of which includes the purpose it is intended for.
For instance, One that intends installing a water filter for municipal use must take note of the capacity the filter is capable of purifying per unit time, a CuZn UC-200 Under Counter Water Filter would do in this case. Another point of consideration is the ease of installation.
Installation requires an expert, and sometimes they won’t be at your disposal; this is the more reason for choosing a water filter that is easy to install is very important. The type of contaminants to be treated is also an important parameter.
Water contaminants are categorized into organic (which includes herbicides, detergents, debris, chlorinated solvents, etc.) and inorganic substances (including ammonia form, insoluble plastics, fluoride, chloride, arsenic, etc.).
Water filters also differ according to the types of the contaminant that is to be treated, therefore, in choosing a suitable water filter, one must have fore-knowledge of the contaminants to be treated for and must ensure it matches the capability of the water filter to be used.