- 1 Water filter for summer residence – a luxury or a necessity
- 2 Filter classification by installation method
- 3 Characteristics of the device in the form of a jug
- 4 Built-in “under the sink” option
- 5 Membrane type filters
- 6 The main types of devices according to the principle of action
- 7 Coarse and fine mechanical
- 8 Adsorption cleaning device
- 9 Ion exchange water filter
- 10 Competent selection criteria
- 11 Leading manufacturers of cleaning systems
Both spacious suburban cottages and small country houses have their local water supply systems, the sources of which are wells, wells, or village columns. You must agree that it is possible to use the extracted water for watering plants and domestic needs without much concern, but its use requires additional preparation.
It’s about using different filters. The variety of water treatment elements can be misleading and complicate the choice.
We will tell you which water filters for cottages are better to use, outline the pros and cons of different models, and also describe what criteria and characteristics should be used to select a water treatment device. To facilitate the selection process, we have prepared an overview of the best manufacturers of water filters.
Water filter for summer residence – a luxury or a necessity
Consider what parameters should be guided when choosing a water cottage filter.
Even the most well-kept well does not guarantee that the water in it is suitable for consumption. Indeed, a crystal clear liquid may contain toxic substances invisible to the eye, for example, nitrogen, ammonia, or hydrogen sulfide, which enter it during decomposition of waste products from plants and animals.
The toxic chemicals used on an industrial scale and the drugs used to control pests directly fall into groundwater
In the risk, the group belongs, summer residents, whose plots are located next to industrial facilities and agricultural complexes. And use life-giving moisture, not subjected to cleaning with a water filter to give, risking your health, is not worth it.
Lucky owners of drilled wells are also better off playing safe. After all, water suitable for drinking purposes, which received this status according to the results of the inspection at the SES, will not get worse after filtration. And the one that does not cause much confidence after filtering will become more secure.
The choice of degree of purification and devices for filtering water depends on the type of water intake facility. Water from a well and a needle well is not enough just to carry out filtration
- Water intake at the cottage from the well
- The simplest filter for water treatment
- Multistage water treatment
- Getting water from a needle well
- Filters for an automated system
- Coarse and fine filters
- Filters for deferrization and softening
- Strainer for internal network
And before you buy a water purification filter for a summer residence, you need to decide what needs to be removed from the drinking water supplied by the source, and what is better left.
After all, it is not necessary to filter all the components of the water transported through the pipeline to the house, because it simply may not have any components that the cleaning device is aimed at eliminating.
To determine the presence of impurities, it is necessary to conduct a water analysis. If we are talking about surface sources, then in addition to chemical analysis, the microbiological composition and the presence of organic inclusions are checked.
Not every impurity dissolved in drinking water is harmful; for example, removal of the same salts makes it “dead.”
According to the results of tests and choose the best option mini-treatment plant.
They are produced in a wide variety of modifications, which, depending on the purpose:
- perform mechanical cleaning;
- adsorb and eliminate odors and dissolved substances;
- provide antibacterial cleaning;
- soften the water entering the pipeline due to the ion exchange reaction;
- comprehensively rid the water of the above.
Almost all filters for water purification in the country are classified according to two criteria: by the method of purification and by the composition of impurities with which they can cope.
Filter classification by installation method
There are a huge number of different filters on the market. And many of them are marked “suitable for summer cottages.”
Even having a “suitable for summer house” label cannot guarantee that the device is optimally suited to your option
Indeed, in all wells and wells, water can differ in composition, have their own “problems.” Also, the selected filter can perfectly cope with the function assigned to it, but entirely not fit the location.
Characteristics of the device in the form of a jug
The most affordable and low-cost way to purify water is to purchase a modular jug. The mobile container does not require pre-installation. It is easy to assemble/disassemble. It cleans the water in full: how much was poured into the tank, so much was received at the outlet.
The device works according to this principle: water is poured into the upper part of the tank. It gradually flows through a module with a cleaning sorbent into a receiving funnel. The volume of the tank, depending on the model, can reach 4.2 liters.
The filter jug is a plastic container, inside of which is placed a small reservoir for fluid intake, equipped with a replaceable cartridge
Granulated activated carbon is most often used as a cleaning adsorbent in such jugs. In some models, cassette filling also includes components such as silver, Aragon, and ion-exchange resin.
Cassettes give an average level of cleaning since they can only remove visible suspensions: rust, chlorine, some impurities.
Devices of this type are high:
- for suburban areas where it is not possible to install more powerful equipment;
- with small volumes of drinking water consumption because at a time, the filter can purify from one and a half to three liters of water.
A replacement cartridge is selected based on the composition of the water. They are of a universal type and directional effect, for example: to filter heavy metals or soften tough water. Information on the properties of the filler with a detailed description of what the filter protects against can always be found on the bundle.
Manufacturers often place mechanical indicators on the lid of jugs, with which it is convenient to control the remaining cleaning resource
The cost of such devices ranges from 700-1500 p. Replaceable cartridges for them, depending on the filling, will cost about 150-300 r.
The regularity of the need for replacement depends on the frequency of use of the jug. Traditionally, one cartridge is enough for 300 liters of water. But when working with too polluted water, the filter may run out of resources sooner.
If a water supply is provided at the cottage, an excellent solution would be to purchase a compact device in the form of a nozzle on a tap.
The nozzle is a small plastic device of a cylindrical shape, which is fastened to the spout of the crane by means of a thread or using special clamps
If we compare the quality of filtration of water passed through the nozzle, then it is higher than that which passed through the jug. This is explained by a two-stage purification, including mechanical retention of coarse fractions and finer chemical filtration with activated carbon.
On sale there are two types of nozzles:
- Removable – put on the tap only for the time when you need to get filtered water (when filling a pot or kettle).
- Permanent – mounted permanently, the resource of such non-removable devices is designed for a certain portion of the supply of untreated water.
The nozzle price consists of three factors: cartridge life, filtration rate, and fineness of cleaning. The volume of the filtered liquid varies between 0.2-6 l / min—the capabilities of one cartridge range from 500 to 2000 liters on average.
Filtration nozzles on the crane perfectly eliminate rust, chlorine and lime deposits, as well as reduce the hardness of the water
The only drawback of such nozzles is poor compatibility with the pumps used in the construction of autonomous plumbing systems. The presence of nozzles on the tap significantly slows the passage of water. And this provokes an overload of the pump. He begins to work jerkily, which is detrimental to his condition.
Built-in “under the sink” option
Such a device is considered to be the best among those listed. Filters for washing well capture and retain harmful impurities and bacteria. Their installation does not threaten the operation of the pump.
But systems of this type are suitable only for suburban areas equipped with a water circuit.
The design, equipped with filtration modules, is installed under the sink, and the nozzle equipped with the fitting is “cut” into the general water supply
Depending on the degree of contamination, water can be subjected to such stages of treatment:
- Mechanical coarse filtration by passing through a mesh “barrier,” as a result of which the liquid is freed from solid particles and suspensions.
- Fine mechanical cleaning, thanks to which the smallest impurities are captured invisible to the eye.
- Adsorption, which consists of physicochemical treatment, in which, through the formation of new bonds, microelements harmful to health are retained.
- Aeration, as a result of which the content of dissolved lime and iron is reduced.
Embedded models are vulnerable to heavily polluted water. Mesh barriers instantly clogging, turn into hotbeds of microbes. And replacing the cartridge in a rather complicated construction is not so simple.
Some owners solve this problem by introducing a separate small faucet through which purified water flows “under the sink.”
Many owners from the acquisition of such a device are stopped by a relatively high price, which ranges from 3-15 thousand rubles. But such a cost is fully justified since the water passed through a four-stage purification acquires the quality of bottled water.
The more modules the design includes, the more cleaning steps the water supplied from the pipeline passes
Models in the form of a nozzle for a faucet and built-in filters for washing belong to the category of flowing, for the functioning of which water supply is necessary.
Membrane type filters
To be able to clean large volumes immediately, it is better to choose reverse osmosis filters. They are also called universal. The basis of such filters is a membrane made of synthetic material, including many microscopic cells.
Thanks to this constructive solution, only water molecules can penetrate through the smallest pores; everything else is left to the “board” (+)
After this purification, the water acquires sterile properties, in which mineral salts useful to the body are washed out along with harmful substances. Consuming such “dead” water, a person has to take care of replenishing the missing salts and trace elements.
Due to the high price and large water intake, such new products are not mainly in demand among summer residents. To get five liters of clean liquid, 3-4 times more water should pass through the filter.
The spent liquid has to be drained into a cesspool, which is also not bottomless. And this is an extra cost not only for the supply of water but also for the emptying of the cesspool.
Due to their small size, the pores of the membrane are prone to clogging by large particles, and therefore, for the effective operation of the device, it is important to organize a preliminary filtration of the water supplied through the pipes (+)
Also, one of the prerequisites for membrane-type filtration equipment is the presence of pressure in the system, the rate of which is at least 4 Atm. The creation of such conditions entails additional costs for the purchase of a powerful pressure boosting pump.
The main types of devices according to the principle of action
If we take as a basis the composition of impurities that can trap filters, then mini-purification stations are of these types.
Coarse and fine mechanical
In any well or well, sand, rust flakes, and clay particles are present. To rid the liquid of insoluble particles and install mechanical cleaning filters. It is not worth neglecting the need to install them, especially when it comes to highly contaminated liquids.
Coarse filters take the brunt of the blow. It retains insoluble particles. The water passing through them enters the water supply.
Coarse mechanical filters become dirty over time and more slowly cope with the task; as they are filled, they must be washed
Mechanical filters designed to free water from particles of rust, sand and other solid inclusions are of three types:
- Mesh – in the form of a wire mesh size from 50 to 500 microns. On sale, there are disposable devices that have to be replaced as they are filled, and self-washed, equipped with an automatic cleaning system.
- Cartridge – are replaceable cartridges placed in plastic or steel cases that are capable of holding particles with a size of 0.5 microns.
- Pressure – constructions in the form of anticorrosion tanks, inside of which filtering material is placed, equipped with a drain pipe and a control unit.
Self-flushing strainers are often equipped with pressure control valves that protect equipment from sudden surges and pressure gauges.
Cartridge devices perfectly capture not only small particles of rust and sand but also substances of a viscous structure – softened clay, mud, and algae
Chemicals and heavy metals remain in the water that has passed through the coarse mechanical filter. Fine filters cope with them. They can retain particles whose size does not exceed 5 microns.
If the opportunity allows, then when arranging a water supply with drinking water, it is better to install both devices: both rough and fine
Fine filters include the membrane devices described above.
Adsorption cleaning device
The main purpose of adsorbent filters is to combat unpleasant smacks and smells arising from contaminants of organic origin. They protect the body from heavy metals, chloride compounds, and pathogens. The circuit of such devices may include from two to four modules.
The adsorption treatment device consists of a fiberglass reservoir inside which activated carbon with a high adsorption capacity is placed
The efficiency and rate of adsorption depend on three parameters:
- the concentration of pollutants;
- sorbent structure;
- the active reaction of the environment.
The key to the effectiveness of the sorption process is to prevent water from entering the pores of activated carbon, suspended solids of which can shield them. Coal that has lost the ability to sorb is regenerated or replaced.
Ion exchange water filter
The main purpose of this type of device is to capture heavy metals and radioactive elements from water. By removing excess calcium and magnesium ions from the aqueous medium, the device perfectly softens the water.
The ion-exchange filter is a module with a plastic or steel casing, inside which is placed a block filled with hydrogen resins
Hydrogen and ion exchange resins are able to absorb ions of some metals from a salt solution, replacing them with hydrogen or ions of other metals. The resulting composition has a slightly acidic environment, which is most favorable for the human body.
Thanks to multi-stage filtration, water with a neutral pH level are obtained at the outlet, in which bacteria, viruses, and heavy metals are absent (+)
The only drawback of the devices is the need to install regenerative tanks, as well as the disposal of old components.
Competent selection criteria
Saving on a country water filter is not worth it. Cheap equipment at best will not give the desired degree of purification, and at worst, it will add impurities.
When choosing a device, pay attention to the following parameters:
- The number of cleaning steps – the more modules, the better the output.
- Productivity – jug type models can satisfy the needs of one or two households. For a large family, it is better to purchase stationary models.
- Features of filtration – the device should be selected individually, focusing on the composition of the water.
Since the filter is continuously in contact with the aqueous medium, all of its elements must be made of materials resistant to its negative effects.
For stationary models connected to the water supply system, the key selection criteria are durable and durable materials.
Some models may be equipped with mineralizers. The usefulness of these modules has not been confirmed by scientific research. And therefore, to use them or not – decide for yourself.
Leading manufacturers of cleaning systems
The key importance when choosing a water filter should be given to the manufacturer. Guided by the duration of the company in the market and the range of services offered to customers.
It is also worth paying attention to how long the manufacturer assumes warranty obligations and whether it provides equipment maintenance services.
Among domestic manufacturers that have earned considerable authority in the field of water treatment, the following brands have proven themselves best:
- Aquaphor, the largest Russian developer of sorbents, offers a wide range of products, starting with simple models of the pitcher version and ending with the most complex multi-stage complexes.
- “Geyser” – a domestic company produces products using the most modern technologies, which not only purifies water qualitatively but also saturates it with minerals useful for health.
- Barrier, a manufacturer of quality filters, uses its research laboratory and automated German lines when creating new developments in the field of water treatment.
Devices of the listed brands do an excellent job of purifying water and are attractively priced.
If we consider the products of foreign manufacturers, then filters made by Germany, the USA, Poland, and Belgium are most popular:
- Brita is one of the most technologically advanced leaders in improving water quality. The German manufacturer produces household and industrial models that meet the highest quality standards.
- Bluefilterst – a German brand has set a new benchmark in the field of filtration by patenting New Line technology. One of the features of the product is the presence of a “live water” cartridge filled with a highly structured liquid that charges purified water with positive energy.
- Zepter – a Swiss company produces multi-stage cleaning systems targeted at different consumer groups.
Speaking specifically about filters in the form of nozzles for a tap, some manufacturers offer devices only for taps with a thread at the spout. These include models of Aquaphor Topaz, Geyser Euro brands.
Models “ Instapur F ” and “ Barrier Select ” can be used for cranes of all kinds, including domestic products without thread. But, in principle, the issue of incompatibility of a removable nozzle with a crane can be solved by additional acquisition and installation of an adapter.